Regarding monetization

Forum for all bug reports relating to the 2018 Early Access phase of A tractor
Mit
Site Admin
Re: Regarding monetization

Post by Mit » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks for the comments, gents.

@VDZ first:

- Totally agree about the state of the promotional materials, as said in chat its all rubbish programmer art, and would need at least a pass from a proper graphic designer. (Please could volunteers form an orderly queue at the admin office.. ;] )

-If/when an upfront price happens, microtransaction items would be almost entirely cosmetic. (Which I've seen judged acceptable in plenty of indie and non-indie games).

- A tractor can have multiple servers, but they all adhere to the same set of rules that make those purchased items functional. Note also that A tractor won't "become The Universal".. they'll continue as separate entities.

- I disagree a bit about the ability of new, non-paying players to make money in the current setup - they can (there are a few in the top 50), but its very limited, and that's how it should be. That of course would not be an issue with an upfront payment.

It is a completely separate issue (and a pretty fundamental one too) that new players (whether paying or not) often don't have things to do except wait around - that's ongoing, but it has always been my goal to give players enough genuine gaming activities to participate in to avoid the need for a purely grind mechanic. (Wouldn't be hard for me to add in a type of mine where people go and endlessly press space until the occasional gold nugget pops out.. I just don't like that as a solution :] )

- A separate point, which was also brought up in game yesterday, is that a purchase price does go someway to limiting the behaviour of getting 'friends' to pop in and take a job (or etc) without actually getting involved in the game.

@Cam:
"I don't quite get the distinction between that and moving goods between buildings"..
Well, like i said, its a thin line :) From a game-development and macro-economic perspective, there is a world of difference between a system that allows player A to pay X to do Y (or allows player A to do Y to get paid X) - that's just code, any monkey can write that - and a system that allows player A to pay X to player B to do Y (or allows player A to do Y to get paid X by player B), and that's really the only distinction. Doesn't mean much i know :].

Morvis

Re: Regarding monetization

Post by Morvis » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 pm

free manual fish pay auto seems like a good idea. You could sit for hours and only score a couple S as it is now.