So, steam huh.

Post by Morvis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 pm

This could be interesting.

Mit
Site Admin

Re: So, steam huh.

Post by Mit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 pm

mebbe :)
If nothing else it gets rid of a lot of pain in just getting the thing in front of people ; Latest windows and browsers - for good reason - do a really good job of putting people off installing an .exe unless its properly signed, and resolving it through Steam is a whole load cheaper and easier than paying for (and maintaining) my own code signing certificate.
There's also a range of steam features that i'll look into taking of advantage of in the future.

First tho, its mostly about getting A tractor back into some sort of shape :]

Morvis

Post by Morvis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:42 am

Righteo. If you need any help with anything you know where to find me. I'm quite excited to see where that rabbit hole leads to.

zaroba

Post by zaroba » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:14 am

This is awesome news.

Will there be a purchase price? Releasing as early access? And...more importantly, in the event of being early access, will you be able to keep up with regular updates to prevent the steam community from basically destroying any chance of it growing by thinking it is abandoned?

Will we eventually be able to make worlds for players to visit via the steam client?

Mit
Site Admin

Post by Mit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 am

Hi zar, happy new year :)

The plans.. which I know you understand all too well aren't remotely guaranteed, but I will try to stick with it.. No purchase price, but there is going to be an in-game store for purchasing of.. things. Early access, yes. Updates.. well I'm gonna to try. Job and family must come first but there is some added pressure this year coz if I don't earn anything off the game I won't be able to pay the mortgage come next winter. :)

As for worlds.. the initial aim is just to prioritise getting 'A tractor' working, stable, fun, scalable. etc - A tractor being a single world (although possibly with separate servers if there's a demand) much like it was back in 2001. After that, if there's enough interest to justify it, I will take all the improvements made for supporting A tractor and put TU up on steam as a separate thing. I have already spent a bit of time on a new version of TU, with all the space stuff being changed quite a bit, but for now I need to focus on getting everything right on just this one world.

(Oh and .. at some point I need to rebuild various websites, move everything here to gamesformay.com, link in all the new score posting stuff, build up the steam community sites, create promotional videos for the steam page, etc etc. :] )

Steam beta keys for those who've registered here will be sent out in a wee while, once the basic framework for the new world is in place.

wes

Post by wes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi.

Mit
Site Admin

Post by Mit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:11 pm

hey wes. hows it hanging?

wes

Post by wes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:08 am

Mit wrote: by Mit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm

hey wes. hows it hanging?
To the left.

Mit
Site Admin

Post by Mit » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 am

Good good, always worth checking.

Alyx

Post by Alyx » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:01 am

I really hope we'll be able to purchase server hosting to create our own worlds...
i still remember the idias i had many years ago , but i was unable to make a world out of it.
Anyway i love where this is going , especially now with testing...